As we return to work, keep in mind that our public transportation options remain impacted by COVID-19. Metro, VRE, and OmniRide are operating on a limited schedule with enhanced sanitization practices. Find more on your commute below.
METRO & COVID-19
- Metro is requiring all riders and employees to wear a face covering or mask when traveling.
- Due to COVID-19, Metro is performing daily enhanced cleaning and disinfecting and weekly deep cleaning using electrostatic fogging on all trains, buses, and at stations.
- Hand sanitizer is distributed to all frontline employees without access to washrooms.
- Metro has implemented rear-door boarding on buses to protect bus operators.
- Starting Monday, June 29, Metrobus is temporarily suspending bus service on four routes with currently low ridership (NH2, C14, G2 and M6) to allow for more frequent trips on busier routes. Metrobus is adding more trips across 14 busy routes (54, 70, 92, 30N, 30S, A4, A6, A8, P6, V4, W4, F4, P12, and T18) to reduce crowding on these buses.
VRE & COVID-19
As of June 12, VRE was operating at a reduced “S” schedule level. For up-to-date information on schedule changes, please consult VRE’s website.
- VRE is requiring all riders to wear a face covering or mask when traveling.
- Most seats are closed and riders will be directed to a window seat in every other row to maintain social distancing.
- VRE is asking passengers to download the VRE mobile app to purchase tickets and to avoid using ticket machines at stations.
- Passenger cars are wiped down with disinfectants twice daily: nightly at the maintenance and storage facilities to prepare trains for morning service, and after morning service to prepare trains to return for service in the evening.
- Crews emphasize high-touch areas (e.g. seats, handholds, etc.) in sanitization.
- Restrooms are being thoroughly cleaned and disinfected.
OMNIRIDE & COVID-19
As of June 29, OmniRide Express is operating only the following commuter service: D-100 Dale City – Washington (Friday schedule), D-300 Dale City–Navy Yard (Friday schedule), MC-200 Montclair–Pentagon (Friday schedule), and 612 Gainesville–Pentagon/L’Enfant Plaza/Navy Yard (regular schedule). OmniRide Metro Express and Local routes and the East-West Express are running on a regular schedule. OmniRide Access paratransit service is also operating regularly. For up-to-date information on schedule changes, please consult OmniRide’s website.
- Riders should wear masks and practice social distancing on OmniRide buses.
- Fares are free on OmniRide Local and Metro Express services during the pandemic to minimize interactions between bus operators and riders and allow customers to board quickly and self-distance more effectively.
- Commuters on OmniRide Express buses must pay fares using a SmarTrip card – cash is not accepted.
- OmniRide continues to sanitize buses frequently with hospital-grade cleaners.
- Bus operators are wearing face masks in compliance with guidelines from the Center for Disease Control.
- The Transit Center lobby is closed to the general public and lost and found is only available from 6:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- When possible, bus operators are limiting the number of passengers to 10 at a time. Limiting the number of passengers on each bus helps occupants avoid close contact with others.
- Passengers will be permitted to ride local buses for only one loop to limit extended exposure and contact between drivers and passengers.
- OmniRide is blocking seats closest to the bus operator to encourage social distancing from the driver.